What is the ideal number of channels to be used for flying RVOSD/FPV?

KosPilot

Hi all!

This is my first RVOSD post. Yay!!
I am a dedicated rotorhead and would like to use the RVOSD for a RC helo build. At this stage, any advice would be greatly appreciated but also bear in mind that I am totally inexperienced in FPV and will need to purchase all the needed gear.

Now, to begin with I am looking for the best Tx/Rx combination to be used for heli RVOSD/FPV. I have been looking at the Spektrum DX6 / AR610 combination, BUT if I want to use a gimballed (stabilized) camera with a single radio then I may have to consider using more than six channels?

1. Bank
2. Pitch
3. Yaw
4. Throttle
5. Camera Pan
6. Camera Tilt
7. Aux for mode selection?
---more?

What would you experts recommend?

Cheers from down under!

Last edited:

ommadawn

Seems to me most of the heli guys fly FPV multis. Mostly quads and tris. I think FPV has indirectly accelerated the evolution of the multicopter in recent years. It appears to be a match made in heaven:D. That is not to say there are no FPV helis, just that they dont appear to be that common. I think the simplicity is what attracts people to multis. All of the crazy mechanical systems disappear when the smarts are added. Also they are virtually indestructable.

Last edited:

sweflyer

Hi,
Im not sure rvosd is capable of flying a heli on its own?
Probably impossible to manually fly heli fpv through pan/tilt cam?
As for radios, I find many channels good... If I were to buy a new radio would probably
be FrSky Taranis:)
What heli do you intend to use?

KosPilot

Cheers guys for the replies :)
I have a Trex 500 that I would like to kit up before doing anything bigger. Firstly it should be able to lift the electronics and camera system and still provide OK flight time. Secondly I may crash that old bird without going bankrupt! I have read enough stories to understand that automated nav-systems may do crazy things until the setup is perfected.
Flying the heli with the camera in offset position would indeed be very difficult. My intention is to use pan/tilt during 'autopilot' (Position/Hover hold, Waypoint mode, etc.) and hopefully be able to revert camera to home position before resuming manual flight.
-And off course I could go the road of least resistance and get a RTF multi-rotor... But where is the fun in that?! Besides, I already have the base-frame.

The FrSky Taranis is an interesting suggestion and deliver bang for buck :) At first is seems a bit complex but that may be easy enough to overcome.