RVOSD G5 Barometric Altitude bad readings

raulvola

Hi,

My RVOSD G5 has worked like a charm for a year. Last two flights I suffered bad Barometric Altitude Readings during flight. Many episodes during the flight than only last a second, Altitude goes up and down quickly. Variometer reaches the maximum.

You can see the problem in this video. My RVOSD G5 configuration can be seen at the end. My Video version is 5.05 and Sensor version is 5.10

Can you help me ?

Thanks a lot.

Raul F.
---------

cadders

Hi,join the club Raul, my G5 seems to have a dodgy baro sensor. While setting up on the ground the altitude gradually drifts down into negative numbers. Once it sets home and reconfigures to zero it continues to drift slowly down.video shows absolute pressure value slowly drop.
Cadders

cadders

Also, it really breaks my heart to say this, but I feel the support here is dying. I absolutely love the RVOSD and the RVGS. Problems don't seem to get answered, Vova and Alex don't seem to respond and I don't know about anyone else, but I'm unable to email RangeVideo anymore....the mail tab doesn't work. I've now got an RVOSD4/upgraded to 5 and a RVOSD5 with Baro problems....I've only got 3 left that work. PLEASE HELP VOVA or ALEX!!!

raulvola

The problem is more likely to be the baro chip. Unfortunately the RVOSD G5 baro chip(HP03M) is obsolete now.
There is a seller on ebay but it needs someone with SMD soldering skills to do the job:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP03M-/291919386399?hash=item43f7c0571f:g:3SEAAOSwHsRYC3nL

Also with the latest firmware for the G5 you can select the altitude to be displayed from the GPS.

Note that from RVOSD 5.1 the baro chip changed to BMP085.
Alex,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I'm afraid I'm not able to do that repair. My soldering skill and equipment are basic.

If the problem gets worse I´ll set altitude to be displayed from the GPS.

All the best

Raul F.
----

cadders

Hi Alex, mine is a G5.0 and uses the obsolete chip. I just need a few questions answered:

(a) Trouble is if I select GPS baro in menu the info fed back to the ground station is from the dodgy chip and the antenna tracker won't track correctly, is this correct.

(b) Can I change the HP03M chip for the BMP085 chip?

(c) Can I use this breakout board to help?...http://www.flytron.com/sensors/141-bmp085-breakout-board.html

(d) Also, if I change the chip will that software you gave me for my other board work and will you be able to give me an unlock code if I go ahead?

Thanks for any help
Cadders

Last edited:

Alex Villa

Super Moderator
a- GPS altitude is usually good enough for the antenna tracker to work.
b- few years ago I released a firmware that could do that.
c- yes you can, just need to follow the traces on the board.
d- yes, I can get those unlock codes.

raulvola

Hi,

My baro has fixed by itself !

I flew yesterday with no baro issues anymore. Flight lasted 40 minutes,

Only difference with previous flights is that after GPS fix I restarted OSD using the remote control by selecting the first menu option.

I'm very happy there is no need to replace bad chip.

Cheers

Raul

Rolf65

I got to try this `reboot` as I got issues with my G6 airspeed sensor witch reads speed all over, and often intermittently goes out totally and reading zero speed...