Rvlrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Villa

Super Moderator
Everything is at Rangevideo. However Vova does not want to sell it until we find a suitable way to test all the units.

ommadawn

You have a heap of very experienced FPV and RVOSD test pilots here who are happy to Beta test fly the new hardware....

bovick

They must be on a long vacation Cause I cant even get a RMA for my Main board with a busted throttle output
I love RV but despite the recent boom in FPV and surely their business, they still operate more like a one man shop... and sadly not a very diligent one. (Mike from Dragonlink is on top of everything, very active on forums, and super responsive to repairs, issues, etc so it can be done even with a tiny staff)

With the autotune and the massive feature list & price point of APM and variants, plus units like the vector, RVOSD is starting to become marginal. It is still one heck of a bit of kit with an excellent OSD (unlike what is available for APM), but the steep fall on the price of used units shows that the perceived value is no longer there. All it would take is for someone to make a good graphical OSD that integrates well with APM/Pixhawk and it could be game over. Maybe rangevideo could shift gears and provide a good solid OSD for all the variety of open hardware controllers using MAVLINK protocol. That would sell like crazy. The minimosd sucks, and the first person to fill that hole with something good is going to profit. Color and graphics with some software to be able to custom configure it would be killer!

The LRS could give the needed boost as currently FPV pilots need separate LRS units... but just about everything else (even the little sub $50 controllers) has a usable and *useful* USB port plus actual decent & improving software to support the units, enable additional featuers, manage settings, make waypoints easy, etc.

Nearly a year ago I had joked about LRS being ready in time for X-mas 2015... sadly even that may be wishful thinking. Meanwhile, TBS just introduced the crossfire (along with a bunch of other decent hardware) with a bunch of well thought out features for long range fpv.

/rant off/

Last edited:

snipercz21

Yeah i mean.RVOSD was awesome back in 2013 but now there are other OSDs that do the same thing and are cheaper.I still love mine RVOSD but id really like the LRS for it.Last update was about half year ago and they sayed they only need aluminium covers to be made..... so yeah i wonder what is really going on.

Glorysgun

The minimosd sucks, and the first person to fill that hole with something good is going to profit. Color and graphics with some software to be able to custom configure it would be killer!/rant off/
Minim does suck and that's why I threw cash at the playuav osd when it came out. It looked promising but sadly it only lasted an hour on my bench before it died. Maybe try it again when a v2 batch comes out. I have 5 RVOSD 5.1s and they all behave differently. I have a couple that are awesome, a couple that the AHI is always suspect, and one that I don't trust. I replace that last one with a pixhawk clone and stuck it in an X8 and have been doing auto takeoffs, landings and all sorts of cool waypoint action. APM is not for the faint of heart but if you call it a hobby, APM forces you to learn something. RVOSD is more for the plug and play people.

evox

i hear what people are saying!
I've been a long time RVOSD fan and now i'm a proud owner of an Eagletree Vector and sadly i must say the RVOSD is lacking in so many areas compared to the vector :(

viper1

When you mentioned 'Eagletree' I started to shiver, thought of complex software, many separate sensors and units, with a bunch of wiring you couldn't fit in a real boeing 747. In short, the kind of thing that made me run faster than Usain Bolt in the other direction a couple of years ago.
Now that I just had a look, I'm impressed, and I'm not impressed easy :cool:

kbirand

I just bought EagleTree as well, as a FC , yet it is very successful but IMO when I compare the ground stations Eagle Eyes is crap.You can only use it with its own software which is useless .

bovick

I just bought EagleTree as well, as a FC , yet it is very successful but IMO when I compare the ground stations Eagle Eyes is crap.You can only use it with its own software which is useless .
Yes, but Koray, you have your own groundstation software setup etc. The rest of us mortals have pretty much nothing from RV supporting the RVOSD. So Vector's offering is something vs basically nothing from RV.

I don't care for the Vector for several reasons, but the apm/pixhawk is really hard to beat. With the newer code, even a ton of vibrations don't mess up the ahi for the pixhawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.