quick question regarding in flight menu scroll

OzFlyer

I fly with my elevator reversed so when I push stick up plane goes up.

So when I try to scroll through menu in flight I push stick up the cursor moves down and vice versa.

Can I change this?

Thanks,
Justin

Alex Villa

Super Moderator
This means you have the elevator reversed on the autopilot also. You could change it on the menu Pitch servo direction as well as you should change the menu Yaw/roll servo direction if the menu items increase/decrease does not match the rudder/elevator input(increase when move right, decrease when move left). However this parameters should be correctly set if you run the R/C wizard and follow the steps. I sugest you to do so. The wizard also set other imoprtant parameters.

OzFlyer

Hi Alex,

I have done rc wizard numerous times, but still it comes up with pitch servo direction inverted. When I do this the menu up/down cursor moves opposite, however the autopilot still trys to climb when i enagage it on the ground.

I then as you say change pitch servo direction to normal and then the menu cursor is good and moves correctly up is up and down is down. I then enagage autopilot on ground and it still trys to climb. This is correct now as far as I know.

yaw/roll servo is fine left is decrease and right is increase.

I am happy with this if you are. When the weather clears I will engage level flight and record it to show you.

Justin

Alex Villa

Super Moderator
Something is wrong here, Make sure you run the wizard properly, pitch servo direction is set when the wizard ask you to move the stick to maximum climb, a t this step you move the elevator stick towards you. This should set the system so when you move the stick up the menu selector also goes up.

OzFlyer

Hi Alex,

I did the rc wizard again. This time pulling stick towards me. I now scroll through the menu correctly. Stick up is menu cursor up and vice versa.

Right is increase and left is decrease.

My pitch servo direction is normal and yaw/roll is inverted.

The only thing I notice that is out of the ordinary is my AHI line is upside down. However I am assuming and hoping that once I get outside and align with horizon it will be ok.

baka

Im not expert but my advice would be DON'T TURN RTH ON with the AHI line upside down, bet it will flip your plane inverted (or more realistically try too and trash your plane) Are you sure you have the IR Stabilization sensors facing the right way?! UP=towards the sky DOWN=towards the ground. But the AHI wont work inside it needs to be outside, make sure you calibrate it and dont take off if the AHI is still the wrong way round

Last edited:

OzFlyer

Hi there

Yes, I have the sensors pointed correctly. The problem is I think is that they have not been aligned with horizon outside. My guess would be because I practised aligning the horizon on a tile floor it picked the tiles as the sky because they are colder than the roof.

Here is a pic of where I put them. I found it hard to find a good spot on the twinstar because of the engines in the way. So I made a little pedestal, probably not perfect or very attractive. But we will see how they work soon.

Justin

Attachments

baka

Calibrate the IR sensors outside, its in the autopilot menu (think its called 'IR sensors equalization') you will be asked to hold the model level then hold the model pointing towards the ground (follow on screen instructions) then 'Set neutral AHI' and you should be ok. Happy flying!

Martin Y

I think you'll have problems with the sensors. Having them attached that close to your Vtx antenna is not a good place. Your Tx will induce voltages into the sensor board and run the risk of damaging them and your osd.

Alex Villa

Super Moderator
You have to change the position of the sensors or the Video Tx antenna asap. As it is now you have a recipe for disaster. You should try to keep the transmitter as far as possible from everything else.

OzFlyer

Thankyou guys. I will do this.

Lucky for me we are having such bad weather in Brisbane right now that even passenger planes get delayed. Keeping me and my Twinstar safely indoors.;)

Does anybody have any recomendations for placement of xy sensor on twinstar?

Thanks for any help.
Justin

OzFlyer

Hey guys, just thought id finish the post with showing you what I did. I am happy with it. I thought about the fact the rudder might interfere. But I never even use it anyway. The autopilot will use ailerons also.

Attachments

chiloschista

Yes, it should work well. The sensor have 90° free of the 110° they can.
In my plane I have a worst situation and it still work very well.

chilo

Alex Villa

Super Moderator
Now you have a good setup there. However I see you did a lot of bendings to the cables near the IR connectors. I have seem this making problems with the IR conenctions causing the AHI to jump. Actually I think is better to get rid of the connectors and direct solder the cables.
The position of both the XY and the Z sensor is very close to optimal. Now read the instructions. The warnings at the end of the post are there because I have experience with people making those mistakes.

OzFlyer

First level flight

Hi there,

Finally weather is better here and I have gotten a chance to try auto pilot. I believe in doing things gradually but properly so I wanted to try only level flight today and was very happy. The only thing was, I thought I would have had my recorder by now so if you watch my video you will notice very poor quality because I had to record using my phone onto the lcd.lol Anyway I hope you get the idea. I plan to try rth in the morn.

The password is levelflight

Kind regards,
Justin

http://www.vimeo.com/15944111

Alex Villa

Super Moderator
Justin,
You did everything as it should be done, taking your time to read, understand and ask when you need to.
The result is that your OSD is working flawless, the level flight mode worked good, so all the rest of the modes should work also. Relative to the OSD, your only concern now should be to check the AHI accuracy is within tolerance(+-20 to 30 degrees). That it does not do sudden jumps because of bad contacts, and that it does not change to much when you change heading because of surrounding weather.
It is possible to tweak things here and there. But you are ready to go :D