Pixhawk 2.1 In RV JET

Discussion in 'RVJET' started by Barnstormer, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Barnstormer

Barnstormer New Member

May 16, 2017
    Male
    #1 Barnstormer, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    PIXHAWK 2.1 & RV-JET

pix2.jpg rvjet.png

This information is based on my experience with installation, setup and first flight.

The RVJET fly’s like it’s on rails with the Pixhawk 2.1 first thing I noticed was while doing areal mapping it always tracked on target could make tight 100ft 180 turns with very little if any loss of altitude. Of course, the HERE GPS I’m sure is a big part of this solution. The information provided below is what I consider RV-JET specific I still recommend you read threw the setup at the following site http://ardupilot.org/plane/index.html for basic info like radio calibration ect. Also make sure you are running the Beta mission planner with the latest beta firmware update.

1. Placement on the Pixhawk 2.1 I found it best installed sideways with AHRS orientation set to 270

270.png

2. The Pixhawk 2.1 they recommend hard mounting to the frame with no vibration Isolation as the IMU is internally dampened against vibration already. I found it convenient to mount the Pixhawk 2 on two carbon fiber plates with nylon stand offs in-between this allowed routing of servo, sensor, wires underneath. And this also allows you to remove the 4 screws to remove your Pixhawk for routing wires in the future it also makes it much easier to access servo wires.
    mount1.jpg
    mount4.jpg

You can glue base down with Hot Glue ( Trick if you ever need to remove 90% Achahol will make hot glue release )

With it moved all the way forward allows enough room for flexable usb plug but rather then push it I picked up a $3 90 degree pigtail off ebay

3. In full parameters list you need to set ELEVON_OUTPUT to the appropriate setting 1 thru 8 for more details on this http://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/reversing-servos-and-setting-normalelevon-mode.html

elevon.png

4. Next if you don’t have enough throw on your elevons check on your MIXING_GAIN, I have found that the default of .05 fine

mixing.png

5. Make sure to do your accelerometer and compass calibration one more time once everything is installed in the plane also it is recommended that you only use ONBOARD MAG CALABRATION as it uses the Pixhawk to calibrate the compass and not mission planner

calbrate.png compass.png

6. First Flight I normally take off in manual level out around 200 to 300 ft then turn on autotuned then pitch plane up and down then roll 45 left and 45 right for about 5 mins to allow the Pixhawk to autotuned.

7. At this point you should have a Good Flying Plane. Another option for future easy take offs is to use stabilize mode but if you’re going to do this I recommend setting the throttle Pass thru for Stabilize that way you can have full throttle control of this is just my preference I also use it for landing it makes for easy abort. Just go to full throttle. The RV jet dos not have any bad tip stall issues so if you need to land in small area you can literally stall it all the way in set it down in some High Grass for an example the Movie Space Cowboys with the Shuttle. keep in mind if you are with about 20 to 30 feet of the ground there is no abort for this landing unless you have like a 3 to 1 thrust to weight.

throttle_pass.png

8. I can’t say enough good about the RV-JET it will fly slow as 15 mph or as fast as 50 mph in the long wing Configuration have yet to try short wing as I carry to much equipment.

Video of Maiden with Pixhawk 2.1 Installed in RV-JET

Hope this was Helpful if you need a link to my Parameter file send me a message. Please only use as Guide and Do your own Setup as Every air-frame is different

Specs
    Pixhawk 2.1
    Emax 650 KV
    13 x 10 Folding Prop
    YEP 60 A ESC
    2 Titan Lion 7000mah Battery's in Parallel
    Digital Air Speed Sensor
    BLACK BOX ( On-board MICRO DVR )
    Minimum OSD
    EZUHF

GOD Bless
    Marvin

2. Cesar Batista

Cesar Batista New Member

May 10, 2017
    Male
    What firmware do you use?

I tried to use the Arduplane 3.8v, but I had problems setting the elevons, I could not configure correctly. Now I made a installation using QGroundControl for a flying wing firmware, but I did not like it because there are many commands that are not working in Mission Planne like Loiter, do set speed, takeoff, among others ... now I'm thinking of putting the Arduplane 3.8v and set up same as yours, but now i'm having problems with board recognition by mission planner...

3. Cesar Batista

Cesar Batista New Member

May 10, 2017
    Male
  4. Barnstormer

Barnstormer New Member

May 16, 2017
    Male

I always use latest beta firmware on my pixhawk 2.1

have you tried flashing it with copter then re flashing plane as that will make sure to clean out any old plane settings
    as far as setting up elevons make sure you are using the new system they changed it since I made post :(
    http://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/guide-elevon-plane.html#guide-elevon-plane

5. Cesar Batista

Cesar Batista New Member

May 10, 2017
    Male
    Hello, I was able to configure my pixhawk with firmware 3.8, but I went to do a test flight and when my rvjet is in automatic mode it is doing "very closed curves" (I do not know if the term in English would be this), when it is making curves is getting at a 90 ° angle, that is, it is totally on the side ... Do you know any commands that can make the curves softer?

6. Cesar Batista

Cesar Batista New Member

May 10, 2017
    Male
    look at this image that I took during the flight, just after that curve my rvjet fell.

Attached Files:

7. reznikvova

reznikvova Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 16, 2008
    What is the value of LIM_ROL_CD parameter?

8. Cesar Batista

Cesar Batista New Member

May 10, 2017
    Male
    the value of LIM_ROL_CD is 4500