My way of dealing with vibrations.

Martin Y

Here's what I'm trying. Made a base to hold 4 CD dampers. Glued small wood studs to Rvosd and base. Studs hold quit well. Put connector on end to run the least amount of wires. All power will be on connector and will add caps to filter any noise out. It will attached to the plane with velcro. This way I can move it to other airframes. What yea think.

Gary Evans

I have found that the cushioning material needs to be extremely soft like the density of memory foam or the OSD moves right along with the vibrating airframe. Even with a soft material I have had to add mass to the OSD to stablize it.
Only one way to find out. Try it and post your vibration level.

Martin Y

The dampers are out of a portable Cd player. So there quit soft and are made for that use. The Cd mech and osd are close to the same weight but I will post the levels.

ommadawn

I may be a little obtuse, but what is the function of the additional pins? How will this module connect to the main board?

Martin Y

Actually Frank, I think it pretty genius. :cool: The way I see it is like this, and Martin can correct me if I'm wrong. All connections will be made to the external pins. Then, the female servo connectors that are needed will plug into the OSD, then the wires will loop up a little ways, then the ends of the wires will solder right to the back of the external board. This will releive stress from all the weight of the wires. In theory, and I think its a solid theory, it will virtually eliminate vibration radiated through any wiring.
Correct in your thinking kevo. Using thinner wire for signals and keeping larger currents on the connector board.

kelly

anti viboration motor mounts

yes I think this is a good Idea the wires do send vib's to the board and so does the GPS wire as stiff as it is . so whats you gonna do with the GPS hook up ? I may just follow you in your set up here .

Im now using rubber bushings such as your using here on the problem its self The motor and its mounts!
the rubber I used on the motor mount screws is just rubber fuel line from my gas planes some washers and guess what? I think I will be at the patent office tomorrow:D see video
http://www.vimeo.com/29776245
the rubber motor mounts stop the viboration before they reach the fuselage so maybe we have been looking at the gen 5 and not the real problem the motor. just like in my chevy the motor mounts are made of rubber to stop motor viborations from getting to the frame of the car . then like we have been doing already rubber,foam exct body mounts to the air frame ...I just drilled the motor mount holes out to the size of the rubber fuel line . I was so shocked at how much this really helped reduce the viboration levels to the IMU. Im happy :)
sorry my cell phone camera sucks lol

Attachments

Last edited:

Blackrat

i did a very very similar setup on the my wing, but i changed to a different motor/ prop at the same time so not sure what the improvement was like, but vibes are down to an acceptable amount

Martin Y

View attachment 1384View attachment 1385Here are a couple of complete pictures. Tested with a high frequency sonic calibration system (old electric toothbrush ;) ) And it does Ok. Need to get into plane and do a proper test. With any luck I can do over this long weekend up here in Canada eh!. The 2 black wires are mini video coax, grounded at the connector end.

Last edited:

kelly

the wire block Its self needs damping you think? softer wires help too. ppm input would reduce the number of wires as well. you also only need one power and one ground wire to the servo outs from the gen #? they all can share the same power and ground hook up.

Last edited:

GasmanR

Here's a company that might have a solution for vibration problems-

http://www.gelmec.co.uk/

I have no association with this company but was searching the web for a solution to a vibration problem I had with a fan in my home cinema cabinet and stumbled across this.

I hope this may help someone.

Chris

Martin Y

martin, what did you use for damping ?
Dampers from a portable Cd player. Soft and are tuned for light weight.

the wire block Its self needs damping you think? softer wires help too. ppm input would reduce the number of wires as well. you also only need one power and one ground wire to the servo outs from the gen #? they all can share the same power and ground hook up.
No the block needs no damping. Look at first post as thats is what I did do.