GS Tracker build

Martin Y

Thought I'd post my tracker here. Uses lazy susan bearings with high torque servo's for motion. The bearings take the stress off the servo's just in case. I'll be use differant antennas on it. A 900 mhz Yagi and 2 diy BiQuads. One 900 mhz and other 1280 ghz. The Bi's I did a interchangable element design. So I just spin-off one and spin-on other.View attachment 1795View attachment 1796View attachment 1800

EricJVP

I had the same idea for those type of bearings, but I'm not anywhere near building a ground station yet. It's good to know it's doable and looks good :cool: One question though: seeing as how they are designed to sit horizontally and support a load, does the vertical bearing behave normally with the boom hanging off of it like that?

Last edited:

Martin Y

I had the same idea for those type of bearings, but I'm not anywhere near building a ground station yet. It's good to know it's doable and looks good :cool: One question though: seeing as how they are designed to sit horizontally and support a load, does the vertical bearing behave normally with the boom hanging off of it like that?
Yup! works just fine. Making sure the servo is centred to the bearing is the hard part.

reznikvova

Administrator
Staff member
Martin,

Two questions:
1. Does your winch servo drift?
2. Does the lazy susan bearing have any play?

Best,
Vova

Martin Y

Vova 1. - The tracker has only the backlash of the servo's internal's. If the cable is done correctly there will be no drift at all. You need to use either S.S. wire cable or the stuff that is used on stereo tuner's (no stretch cable).
2 - They do have a bit of play. Not enough to care about. But that can be reduced. I used the real cheap ones ($2 each).

Martin

Martin Y

My thought exactly. Do you get any belt slippage? Wind cause any issues?
Nope no chance of that happening as the cable is through holes that were already in the servo adaptor and I also drilled holes in the tracker and tied them through there. I used to re-string tuners at an old job which helps.

Martin Y

LoL :cool: IS Not!!!

Just got back from doing a system test in flight.:D Worked almost perfect except it does a reboot once in a while. PIA as I can hear the beep of restart. Doesn't loose tracking, keeps going from where it left off. I know everything is balanced and not binding. I think it need a stronger power supply. 5 amps just doesn't cut it for quick spins.

Martin Y

I made a adaptor to put on the pan servo out of 2 low ESR 330uf caps (Just plugs into the servo lead). If it dont rain i'll do a test flight.

Update: Well the Caps worked perfectly. No re-boots at all.

Last edited: