Goggles battery wire melt down

OzFlyer

Hi,

Today I plugged in my 2 cell battery as usual to power my goggles. Not long after the entire wire from battery connection to goggles connection started smoking and melted.

I am no expert, but I feel this wire was faulty and shorted the battery.

Bit dissapointed as I was planning a trip along great ocean road with my plane this week.

Thanks for any help.

Justin

Attachments

CaptnKliegle

Looks like the short was right after the plug... too much tight bending of the wires? Combination of bending/pulling stress on wires that are insufficiently separated/insulated? Do you wrap them around the goggles after every flight?

Kriss KA1GJU

OzFlyer

Hi Kriss,

No don't wrap them around goggles. I coil the whole cable quite loose and put them into my box of fpv stuff with the other cables.

What do I need to do in this case? I can't see any of these replacement cables on range video website.

CaptnKliegle

Even any tips on how I could get it going in short term would be great help.

Cheers,
Justin
Cut the wire back to where 'good serviceable wire' is and replace connector. Few minutes with the ol' soldering iron and done! May have to splice in some seviceable wire as well.

I had a piece of RG-174 coax I was using as power cord for a project do the same thing. Had to keep cutting it back (making it shorter) until I passed the shorted section of wire.

Kriss KA1GJU

OzFlyer

Great I will look into this. Just a matter of learning to splice and work out which wire is negative and positive.

CaptnKliegle

Usually the negative (ground) is common to all other grounds.... so place one lead of the DMM in continuity mode to the shield of other barrel connector (power?) or the shield of the colored RCA jacks and then to each of the wires that got burned.

Kriss KA1GJU

OzFlyer

Ok, I don't actually have a dmm. But its probably about time to get one. I read that it will make a continuous beep when it gets power in this mode. So I am guessing that it will do this when I touch the barrels of the other connectors as well as the negative burnt wire. Is that correct Captain?

CaptnKliegle

Yes, a DMM will usually have a tone when continuity is detected when in the continuity mode. An old analog meter (set to the lowest resistance scale...i.e. 0 to 200 ohms) will work too (no sound usually), you just have to watch the needle go to 0 (zero) ohms of resistance when you have continuity between two ends of wires.

There's some decent meters out there on the web, but you will have to wait for them to be delivered. (try Craigslist)

Kriss

PS How about applying power to the other coaxial power plug? Might have to get creative with adapters. I'm assuming this is not an RV pair of goggles? Mine didn't have two power connections. Mine has a USB charger type connector and it's own internal battery.

Last edited:

CaptnKliegle

Yes it is the rv Base goggles. Here is the link to the dmm that I will buy today. They are my local shop.
I actually got my rg174 cable from them that I spoke to u about on another thread. 20m for $30 including connectors.
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KG9250&keywords=digital+multimeter&form=KEYWORD

Cheaper here:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?category=&q=dmm

They do have local stores in some locations too. (if you are in USA)

Kriss KA1GJU