Experimenter's corner

Discussion in 'RVOSD' started by Alex Villa, Dec 20, 2011.

1. ommadawn

ommadawn New Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Elevator tech.
    Adelaide, South Australia
    FPM position has no bearing on the attitude of the aircraft. Its position on screen is arbitrary.

2. fpvrecon

fpvrecon New Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Some clarification here would be appreciated. I've had the issue of my skywalker descending slowly when I switch from manual to FBW. And after having 'Set Neutrals' in the air. At that time I would have to keep some back stick/up elevator to make her fly level.

I guess Khalid is actually talking about 'Set Neutral AHI'? And when doing this it is recommended to have the plane level, or 5 degrees up? Is Khalid saying that he had his nose too far down when he 'Set Neutral AHI', and that caused a descent?

Thanks

3. Alex Villa

Alex Villa Super Moderator

Oct 16, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    #303 Alex Villa, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  4. fpvrecon

fpvrecon New Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Alex,

Not suggesting you did recommend setting neutral ahi in the air. I have done the following:

1. Set Neutral while flying, using the in-flight menu. As best I could the plane was flying level when I set this. Saved upon landing
    2. Set Neutral AHI on the ground, after a startup sequence and home is set. I use a bubble level on the plane to ensure wings are level while on the ground, then 'Set Neutral AHI'. Saved configuration.

But after doing this, when I am flying manually and the plane is trimmed for level flight, when I switch to FBW the plane nose drops and starts to descend. Not much, but enough so that I cannot let it continue. I have to use some up elevator to keep flying level.

In another thread: http://rangevideo.com/forum/showthread.php?1947-AHI-Tracking-problem&highlight=flight+path+marker
    you wrote: "What you really need to achieve here is to get the AHI aligned with the center marker (Flight path marker or FPM) when the plane is flying at cruise throttle and at the correct angle of attack to fly without loosing or gaining altitude. "

It is this sort of fine tuning with the AHI and FPM that I am unclear on, the combination of things to make that happen correctly. When 'Set Neutral AHI' on the ground, should I also consider where the AHI line crosses the FPM, and pitch the nose of the aircraft in such a way as to make them line up?

Thanks

M

5. Alex Villa

Alex Villa Super Moderator

Oct 16, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    What you are asking is more matter of flight aerodynamics(airspeed, angle of attack, thrust vectors) and logic behind camera field of view or camera pointing vs plane attitude. You need to understand the relationship between.

6. khaled_abobakr

khaled_abobakr New Member

Apr 5, 2012
    Hi

I haven't changed anything to the FPM .. it was left as default .. and yes .. what caused the descending in my case was the AHI was set with the ZII pointing a bit downwards ... so I reset it on the ground with the nose lifted a bit upward so the ZII is level .. just like it is when you balance it from the CG...

I would say do not consider the FPM a parameter you need to play with .. and just do a test flight after resetting the neutral AHI on the ground ... until you have it at the preset altitude (cruise altitude + altitude control limit )

As I mentioned before .. What looks so easy and simple for Alex doesn't have to look the same to use at all ... he is a programmer ..so sometimes it is hard for him to simplify things any further than they seem to him ... but I agree it still sometimes look so difficult to us to interpret ...

Good luck

Khaled

7. Finecutpost

Finecutpost New Member

Nov 1, 2012
    No OSD on flashing new firmware

Hi Alex, I just flashed my boards with the latest firmware G5.1 and M 5.1 as per your instructions and the main board reports a good verification but as your notes suggest the video flashing reports a verification error. But now I have no OSD info at all I have video and the blue light comes on however, the remote control has no effect at all no OSD info appears. My board is a 5.1 batch 1 on both the main board and the graphics board, can you offer any suggestions
    Also I notice that the GPS seems not to be powered up no flashing blue light
    Thank you David

8. ommadawn

ommadawn New Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Elevator tech.
    #308 ommadawn, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    After reflashing you need configure RVOSD again. If you reflashed the Video board you will need an unlock code from Alex.

9. Izord

Izord New Member

May 4, 2013
    I just started working with my RVOSD 5.1. I would like to flash the firmware that allows the second aux channel. I read that after you flash it, you need to get an unlock code. I know it's an old thread. Is it still possible to get an unlock code?

10. Pegru

Pegru New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Send a PM to Alex with your ID, shown on screen after flashing (xxxxx:xxxxx) and ask for the unlock code.
    Think he also needs the hardware version of your graph and main board.

11. Izord

Izord New Member

May 4, 2013
    Hey thanks. Does it matter which way I orient the GPS? On my DJI system there's an arrow on the GPS puck that is supposed to point forward. Does in matter with an RVOSD 5.1 system?

12. ommadawn

ommadawn New Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Elevator tech.
    You only need the unlock code if you reflash the graphic board. To flash the firmware for the second auxiliary channel you just need to do the main board.

13. morlaszlo

morlaszlo New Member

May 27, 2014
    Dont flash G5.1_f5.06_r001.hex on a RVOSD 5.0 graph board.

G5.1_f5.06_r001.hex is only working on RVOSD 5.1 graph boards!

The latest (2016.05.16) and correct firmware for RVOSD 5.0 graph board is Graph5.05b_h5.hex.

14. Kad370

Kad370 New Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Male
    Hi!
    My name is Kristjan. I have problem with flashing top board on rvosd v5.1. My osd has problems with slow ahi. Vhen I tried to flash new fw on it, main board was easy to flash, but when I try to flash top board I get error.
    I bought second hand rvosd v5.1 back in 2014 and untill now it was sitting on shelf.

Attached Files: